Thursday, July 13, 2006

KRAFT DINNER: Gotta b KD




We Canadians call it ‘Kraft Dinner’ or ‘KD’ for short. The Americans know it as ‘Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.’ And the Brits call it ‘Kraft Cheesey Pasta.’

Kraft Dinner is a staple of the Canadian diet. Especially if you’re a student or low on cash.

A box of KD contains dried macaroni noodles with a powdered cheezy sauce. Cook it up and the mixture turns fluorescent orange.

Canadians consume more Kraft Dinner per capita than any other nation on earth.



Kraft Dinner is such a Canadian icon that it’s mentioned in the song If I Had $1000000 by the Barenaked Ladies. They sing that they’d still eat Kraft Dinner even if they had a million dollars. An entry in Wikipedia states that:

The song became so popular in Canada that when it was performed live in concert, fans would often throw boxes of Kraft Dinner on the stage during the song. In recent years they have encouraged their fans to donate the food to charity rather than throw it on-stage (especially when some fans started cooking it beforehand and the cooked macaroni was getting stuck in the instruments). There is usually a sign outside the venue saying Macaroni & Cheese hurts when you get it in the head. BNL would appreciate donations to the food bank instead. Thank You.

Read more about Kraft Dinner.


How do you serve your KD?

With our without ketchup?

Bottle of red wine or bottle of white wine or box of wine?

Do you add anything else to the KD mixture such as meat, fish or veg?

Have you experimented with your own KD recipes?

Tell us what Kraft Dinner means to you.

16 comments:

  1. I once ate KD & Tube Steaks (weiners) by the pail. Now however the forces of nature render my digestive system useless whenever I ingest the stuff.
    KD is sweet with fried 'KLIK' too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love macaroni cheese, but that dehydrated shit is just awful.

    No wonder Canadians are the way they are.

    Yay! I'm erm, second!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HE: Fried Klik? You Manitobans will eat anything.

    Piggy: I see from your latest list (that went on and on so long that I fell asleep before I got to the end) that mac and cheese is something you could eat everyday and not get sick of. Fine dining, that. No wonder Brits are the way they are.

    Ha ha. HE beat you to first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Boil some water in a kettle, while heating a saucepan.
    2) Pour the boiling water into the saucepan, then add the dried pasta tubes.
    3) While the pasta in cooking, chop up various kinds of cheese, and slowly melt them in the microwave.
    4) Strain the cooked pasta, put on a plate, and pour the melted chees over the top.

    This takes 15 minutes, tops. And it's pretty good to eat, and you can make whatever quantity you feel like. And you can vary the pasta, cheese and extras all you want.

    Kraft Dinner takes maybe 10 minutes? You're stuck with the quantity and variation they provide, and it's rubbish to eat.

    Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flaneur: We're Canadians. We're held up as the example of the 'cultural mosaic.' I wouldn't think of leaving out my friends to the south or my friends 'over the pond.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kapitano: How did you slip in here without me seeing? If you cook the mac and cheese from scratch, you're missing out on that unique artificial flavour and the flourescent orange cheeziness of it all. Why do you lot eat jellied eels and black pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flaneur: Pleased to hear that we Canucks have entertained you. Now can we unload Celine Dion on you?

    Rule Britannia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flaneur: Yes, we sent her packing to Vegas but that's too close to home. We need to be separated by an ocean.
    Takers?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I musn't be much of a Canadian...i truly hate that bright orange goop as much as I hate Poutine and Maple syrup...oh yeah and I don't play hockey either. Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids LOVE it...use to be my favorite food as a kid growing up.

    But, when you guys get ready, let me know and I will tell you how to make HOMEMADE Mac and Cheese. The best shit you have ever put in your MOUTH.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flaneur: Wise decision. Celine Dion is revered in China. Second only to Kenny G.

    Pamer: Betcha you like our national emblem though, eh? The beaver.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maddie: Sure, bring on the recipe! But I'm hesitant where the words 'shit' and 'mouth' are used in the same sentence to describe a taste sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maddie: p.s. Email me the recipe and I'll post it on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can we get it in Britain? never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Frobi: I think Tesco carries it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i do love me some cheesy mac. never had it with ketchup because it's pure-D good without ketchup.

    ReplyDelete